Tuesday 26 November 2013

Choosing an artist


I had to be very carfeul when selecting the song which i wanted to make my own music video for. I wanted to be sure it was a song i liked, due to the fact that i would be spending vast amounts of time on i felt if i didnt like the song it would become very boring and tedious. So this was an important factor of song choice for me. I also wanted to choose a song which had meaningful lyrics, i felt that this would help me create a better image in my head of the music video and help me to get my points across in the video. I also wanted to choose a song which I think people had more of a story to it so that i could use the narrative and performance type of music videos, as In my eyes these are the easiest type of videos to watch. I believe they are the more interesting as the viewer can then have a story to relate the music video to.
Personally, i listen to a wide variety of music so i wanted to narrow this down by the type of music which i thought could have a good story line to it. I  thought i would struggle getting a good story line to Hip Hop or R&B due to the nature of the songs and i wouldnt know how to portray this or be able to get the correct Mise en scene for these music videos so i had to cancel these genres out of the equation.
I then thought that pop could be good, but i then decided that doing a narrative to this could very easily become cringey to watch and could easily look very childish and unproffesional. I also didnt want to do a video on a typical boy meets girl pop video as i thought it could be boring and wouldnt stand out.
So with realising the idea of pop had potential i decided to look for a band which had been in the charts frequently but didnt come under the gendre of pop, i then came across the band 'The Fray' who have been largely successful in the charts but still hold there own genre of 'Light Rock' I then went on to discover the song of 'How to save a life' This song seemed to tick all of the boxes in what i was looking for and i was then happy to go forward with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment